The Best Man: Duties and Responsibilities
Congratulations! You’ve been asked to be the best man in his wedding! But what exactly does the best man do? Have no fear: below you will find our complete guide to best man duties and responsibilities.
What Does the Best Man Do?
Every marriage (and every wedding) needs the support of friends and family to carry it off well. Thus, both the best man and the maid of honor carry many of the responsibilities of the wedding. Basically, the best man and the maid of honor help getting hitched go off without a hitch, if you know what I mean.
Look below for our list of best man duties!
Before the Wedding:
- Help the groom select the rings
- Coordinate the purchase of the formalwear for the wedding
- Coordinate travel and accommodations for the couple (and the bridal party)
- Plan the bachelor party (for our stag party activity guide and our stag website, check here and here)
- Organize the groomsmen gift to the groom
- Organize how the bride and groom will leave the reception
- (If the groom wishes) confirm honeymoon travel reservations
On the Wedding Day:
- Help the groom get dressed
- Organize payment of the wedding officiant, the DJ or musicians, and any other necessities from the groom
- Carry the wedding rings (be sure to have them ready for the ceremony!)
- Get the groom to the wedding venue on time (with the marriage license!)
During the Ceremony:
- Have the rings (if there is no ring bearer. If there is a ring bearer, make sure he knows what to do)
- Stand next to the groom
- At the end of the ceremony, escort the maid of honor back down the aisle (and then come back for the mother of the bride)
After the Ceremony:
- Sign the marriage license as a witness with the maid of honor and the bride and groom
- Organize the groomsmen for formal photos
- (If you don’t have another ride planned) drive the bride and groom to the reception
At the Reception:
- Be a host to welcome guests
- Take gift envelopes on behalf of the bride and groom (to give to them later, of course)
- Give a toast! (for our blog post on a great wedding toast, click here)
- Check with the groom to make sure all is ready for the bride and groom’s departure (if they’re leaving the reception for the honeymoon)
There you have it, our list of best man duties and responsibilities. Don’t forget, once you’re at the reception, remember to try to relax and enjoy yourself–remember, now that they’re married, it’s a party!
For wedding planning, check out our blog posts on Barcelona’s photographers, wedding venues, some proposal ideas, and more! Planning the stag party? We specialize in hen and stag parties in Barcelona, so be sure to look at our recommendations for hen and stag activities here and here.
Anna Shoffner is a staff writer for Travel Bar, a Barcelona company that specializes in hen and stag weekends, offering Barcelona’s best tours and experiences. To see Travel Bar’s hen packages, tours, and activities, visit us at www.travelbar.com.